Experience. Dedication. Personal Attention.
Mitchell A. Stephens
Mitchell A. Stephens focuses his practice on litigation and has successfully represented clients in both state and federal courts.
When representing plaintiffs, Mitch has recovered tens of millions of dollars for his clients. His successes include a jury award of over $24,000,000 in a commercial contract and tortious interference dispute. Recently, he forced a $8,500,000 settlement from a national insurer after its wrongful denial of coverage. He also has helped his clients recover millions of dollars in MLM / network marketing disputes, eminent domain actions, and trust and estate disputes.
When representing defendants, Mitch again has successfully litigated high-stakes claims. His successes include a multi-week arbitration trial where the plaintiff asserted commercial contract and fiduciary duty claims and sought more than $36,000,000. The final arbitration award was the dismissal of the plaintiffs’ claims with prejudice and no damages awarded. In a different matter, Mitch represented the defendant in a bench trial where the plaintiff asserted contract and fraud claims in excess of $1,800,000. Again, the result was a dismissal of the plaintiff’s claims, with no damages awarded. Mitch frequently and successful has defended clients accused of violating non-compete or non-solicit provisions.
Mitch also maintains an active professional liability defense practice. He has successfully represented some of Utah’s most prestigious law firms, as well as AmLaw 100 clients. Since 2018, Mitch also has served on the Utah Supreme Court’s Ethics & Discipline Committee, which reviews allegations of lawyer misconduct.
Although the majority of Mitch’s time is spent in the trial court, he is comfortable defending his successes on appeal. He has won cases in front of the Utah Supreme Court, the Utah Court of Appeals, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit.
Before joining James Dodge Russell & Stephens, P.C., Mitch served as a Law Clerk to the Honorable Carolyn B. McHugh of the Utah Court of Appeals. He graduated from the University of Utah’s S.J. Quinney College of Law in 2007 with Highest Honors.
- Honorable Carolyn B. McHugh of the Utah Court of Appeals, Law Clerk
- Business & Commercial Litigation
- I.P. Litigation
- Insurance Litigation
- Real Estate Litigation
- Personal Injury
- Wills & Trust Litigation
- Trade Secrets & Noncompete Litigation
- The S.J. Quinney College of Law at The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah
- J.D. - 2007
- Honors: Highest Honors
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Honors: William H. Leary Scholar
- Utah Valley University
- B.S. - 2004
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Major: Business Management
- U.S. District Court District of Utah
- United States Supreme Court
- Utah’s Legal Elite – Utah Business Magazine
- Super Lawyer – Mountain States Super Lawyers Magazine
- Rising Star – Mountain States Super Lawyers Magazine
- Recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in America
- Aldon J. Anderson American Inns of Court, Participant